- Location: Gasabo
- Country: Rwanda
- Listed: February 10, 2018 11:54 pm
- Expires: 19 days, 22 hours
Position: Director of Business Systems
Status: Full Time
Reports to: Chief Information Officer
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
About Fowler Education
Fowler Education pioneers unique educational programs and technology products for the African market. Our mission is to deliver high-quality, market-relevant education at scale that connects youth in Africa to meaningful employment.
Fowler Education includes the Akilah Institute, a pioneer in womens education for emerging markets with a campus in Rwanda and a second East African campus opening in 2018, specializing in competency-based education and the skills needed for the 21st-century workforce, and MindSky, an online careers platform for university students and graduates entering the job market.
We build visionary software designed to address the needs and limitations of edge-of-the-internet users: digital non-natives in low-bandwidth environments and using mobile devices. We are looking for people who are excited to bring cutting-edge technology to underserved populations and are eager to solve the unique puzzles and problems that presents.
The Director of Business Systems is a strategist skilled at gathering and understanding the business and functional needs of interconnected departments, and advocating for technology solutions and process improvements that address department needs. The ideal candidate is able to evaluate competing department priorities, comfortable making high-level decisions based on the available information, and knows when to engage the rest of the leadership team on issues that have major strategic impact.
Obsessively detail-oriented and able to suss out the finer details that impose dependencies on larger systems, you never lose sight of the full picture of interdependent teams and company-wide goals. You possess interviewing and critical thinking skills that help uncover problems and inefficiencies during the discovery phase of a new project, and enough technical familiarity to interface with the technology team to craft suitable solutions.
You are a natural leader, expert at multitasking, and able to keep multiple projects moving along at a crisp pace, with minimal oversight. You enjoy creating structure and process around the unknown and untried. It is your goal to fully understand how each separate functional area intersects with and impacts all other functional areas. You break down silos and make sure departmental leaders talk to each other, ensuring that the entire team is aware of how each department impacts their own. Your tendency is to see challenges as goalposts, not obstacles. As a leader, you are able to coach others to do the same and have a gift for helping colleagues discover their strengths and work through their challenges.
Among your key projects will be to discover and document business requirements for multiple teams using a single instance of Salesforce and a new learner relationship management database that integrates with the Salesforce platform. The technology team will rely on you and your documentation to build products and customize our central database to manage learner records, deliver online curriculum, manage grades and assessments, and maintain a clean CRM for all our external engagements.
● Understand all Fowler Education business processes, recommend improvements, and anticipate how these processes intersect with a larger system
● Interview department heads and document business needs for a learner relationship management system integration with Salesforce
● Project manage the integration of technology and systems into standard operating procedures for functional teams
● Project manage the data improvement process, from collection to analysis to illustration purposes
● Identify potential bottlenecks or product questions that need strategic input from executive team
● Conduct regular strategic planning sessions with leadership and help implement decisions
● Interface directly with MindSky product team to help translate business requirements into product requirements and review their acceptance criteria
● Create training materials for program managers and owners of key business processes
● Oversee the strategic deployment of all business and information systems across Fowler Education, including but not limited to applicant tracking system, learner management system, accounting system, CRM, and marketing automation
Desired skills and Qualifications
● 7+ years of proven results in tech project management, product management, or business operations with a heavy focus on business process improvement and management
● Willingness to work in Nairobi, Kenya
● Positive and energetic; a natural people person
● A natural operator who thrives in a busy, entrepreneurial environment and is comfortable making decisions
● Metrics orientation, ability to work with data, and use multiple complex data systems such as Salesforce and Quickbooks — prior database management experience is a huge plus
● Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required, especially in interviewing team members about their processes and pain points
● Must be extremely organized and have the ability to multitask
● Team player, self-motivated, efficient, intellectually curious, flexible, reliable
● Must take initiative without constant supervision
● Easily adapt to rapidly changing environment and demands
Ready to join our team? Write an email addressed to Anastasia Uglova (firstname.lastname@example.org) explaining your interest in the role and our organization, and include your CV.
20 total views, 1 today