- Listed: February 11, 2018 12:11 am
- Expires: 20 days, 11 hours
Position: Information Technology Instructor
Department: IS Department
Status: Temporary Time (From June to early September with an opportunity for full time hire in September)
Reports to: IS Program Manager
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Application deadline: February 20, 2018
About Akilah Institute
The Akilah Institute for Women aims to build future generations of women leaders and professionals in East Africa through the development of a network of campuses. At Akilah, we bring together promising female leaders from Rwanda, and East Africa, for an innovative two-year program that prepares them for professional careers and leadership roles.
Akilah students choose a specialized track in Entrepreneurship, Information Systems, or Hospitality Management. Our hands-on and practicals-based curriculum is developed in partnership with the local and global private sectors, and is focused on building the market-relevant skills demanded by the fastest growing industries of the regional economy.
Akilah is searching for an energetic & motivated candidate for the position of Information TechnologyInstructor for our 2018 Summer Bridge Program. Reporting to the Information Systems Program Manager, the Information Technology Instructor will play a critical role in the IS department with duties related to delivering IT Courses, planning student centered lessons, and provide ongoing feedback to the Academic Director and Chief Academic Officer to continuously improve the Information Technology Bridge curriculum. This position is ideal for a determined and passionate Instructor who wants to empower women through education.
● Effectively deliver IT classes with a Competency Based Curriculum to Akilah learners as per Akilah Standards.
● Provide ongoing feedback on the effectiveness of the IT Bridge curriculum to the Academic Director and Chief Academic Officer. Provide input and recommendations on how to successfully adapt the IT curriculum for cultural and situational relevance.
● Ensure that students provide course evaluations at the end of each course by scheduling with students to complete this requirement.
● Work with students to complete extra tasks in order to become proficient in their competencies
● Ensure marking/grading and reporting of students performance is carried out every week in Sycamore the student management system and as per the deadlines set by Akilah. In addition, students participation, attendance and homework is recorded and update on a weekly basis in a Google Doc sheet.
● Provide students with objective and well-timed feedback on their performance.
● Ensure students attendance is recorded by period daily via the Student Management System. Alert the Academic Director and Dean of Studies regarding particular student attendance issues for effective and appropriate timely management.
● Manage student behavior and discipline by establishing and enforcing Akilah regulations as per the Student Handbook policies.
● Perform other duties including, but not limited to, meeting with students who have academic challenges, providing tutoring and additional instruction, and providing encouragement to students.
● Attend weekly PLC meetings
● Attend all required professional development sessions
● Adhere to and observe all policies as detailed in the Akilah Employee Handbook and Faculty Handbook.
● Teach any other related courses as per the need of the Institute.
● Accept additional assignments and projects, as needed. Meet deadlines and provide deliverables as per Academic Director/Principals instructions.
Desired skills and Qualifications
● Interest in teaching and a commitment to grow their individual teaching practice.
● Open to and willing to work on feedback regarding teaching practice.
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications especially Word, Excel, Outlook, Google Docs, PowerPoint, Google drive and databases.
● Demonstrated passion for working with young women, empowering them through education, an unshakable belief in their potential, and a commitment to the mission of Akilah
● Excitement about working in a vibrant and evolving start-up environment.
● Extraordinarily resilient, positive and proactive character.
● Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
● An engaging and collaborative leadership style with mature interpersonal skills and the ability to juggle and manage multiple, competing priorities and deadlines.
● Bachelors degree in Education or field related to Akilahs educational programs, Degree in IT or IS required. .
Ready to join our team? Send your application on our website here explaining your interest in the role and our organization, and include your CV.
24 total views, 1 today